Re: A few of my Drosera growing secrets...

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 18:21:48 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 06:21:48 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: A few of my Drosera growing secrets...

Hi Matt:

You wrote:

>2.Plant on "No Damp Off" by mosser lee or similar. This is DEAD
>milled sphagnum moss, great stuff for germination and early growth.
>Live sphagnum will probably outgrow seedlings in no time.

Live, healthy sphagnum moss has antiseptic properties and something else
that helps prevent molds from forming. I find it an excellent medium for
starting seeds and, because sphagnum is so light, the seedlings may be
transplanted at an early stage with a minimun of root disturbance. You just
lift the sphagnum with it and cover when transplanting. If the sphagnum
starts to grow quickly, give it a "haircut".

>4. Cover pots / containers with plastic and try to create an air-
>tight seal.

Bad idea. An air-tight seal and damp darkness is a mold's paradise.

>5. Place pots in dim light - seed does not need light to germinate.
>
>The surface of your medium will probably start growing a fuzzy white
>fungus type of thing

Proper air circulation would go a long way in preventing this.

>I never use chemicals unless absolutely
>necessary so, rather than use fungicide, I tend to mist lightly again
>as fungus grows. This seems to keep it in check.

Mix a little wettable sulphur powder into the starting medium. I have pots
that _are_ enclosed for months and that never get mold before it is time to
transplant the seedlings. Also, sulphur is on the acid side and will lower
(slightly, for the amounts used) the ph of the medium. It will also make
the medium inhospitable to fungus gnats, the larva of which have been known
to chew on tender young root hairs.

To be sure, everyone has their own way of germinating seed; these are just
a few techniques that I have used successfully.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
Maritime New Brunswick, Canada, Zone 5b