Re: Akai Ryu vs Royal red

From: Seos mac Cárthaigh (Seosamh.macCarthaigh@NUIGALWAY.IE)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 02:13:49 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:13:49 +0000 (GMT)
From: Seos mac Cárthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh@NUIGALWAY.IE>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Akai Ryu vs Royal red

Hi,

I grow Akai Ryu and Royal Red in the same mix, side by side under the
same conditions (in seperate pots). My Akai Ryu plants are very
markedly larger and more robust than the Royal Reds, and their
petioles have been consistantly much broader. The Royal Red petioles
have been narrow regardless of season. I am quite surprized people
are unable to tell them apart.

I obtained my Royal Reds from two sources: Dave Evans years ago, and
via a friend with a friend at the university of Atlanta in Georgia,
where the Akai Ryu was developed. I don't have these latter RRs as
long (<2 years) so it will be interesting to compare the two sorts.

Perhaps there are Royal Reds that are just Akai Ryus that didn't
make the grade in Atlanta tc labs, and others that have been about
much much longer. Perhaps any VFT that expressed the red coloration
was labeled Royal Red regardless of other characteristics, and
perhaps these plants have been wrongly labeled Akai Ryus by some
re-sellers.

Is there anyone who can talk to the people in Atlanta and get their
opinion? They must have had their reasons for making the
distinction.

keep growing,

Seosamh
In Ireland where it is very sunny today, except for that cloud.. oh
is raining now..... summers over... :-(

Seos mac Carthaigh
+353 (0)91 524411 x3316
Ollscoil na hEireann