Re: Various things

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 12:33:34 PST

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:33:34 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Various things

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores...
      I have several things to mention briefly.
      Ten Speed Press called me this morning with good news. The Savage Garden
has won the Book of the Year Award from the American Horticultural Society.
Since all of our employees are off today, except me, I had no one to share
this with, so y'all are the first to hear the news!
      I have also been informed that the photo of D. slackii in the book on
page 132, taken by Chuck Ratzke, has been turned into a 1000 piece jigsaw
puzzle by a company called BePuzzled, a manufacturer of games, and will be
released this summer. What a puzzle it will make, too!
     I am also happy to report that Sarracenia x 'Judith Hindle', one of the
most beautiful American Pitcher Plants yet produced, is now available at
California Carnivores. The tissue cultured plants arrived two weeks ago, are
very vigorous and larger than most TC plants, but are still on the green side,
with pitchers averaging about 4 inches in height. They look beautiful and
will turn spectacular when adjusted to full sun. They are 14.95 each (plus
shipping etc.). This plant will eventually be available worldwide through
Agri Starts in Florida. Marilee and I tried for 8 years to get her in flask,
and Ron Gagliardo succeeded this task two years ago. She is a gorgous plant,
the most popular of ANY plant we have on display at the nursery. For a really
good photo of her, check out the CPN for March and June of 1993, where she was
registered. The photo in The Savage Garden, as nice as it is, was taken early
in the season before she turns fully burgundy in color. Hats off to Alan
Hindle who produced her, and Ron for his work on this clonal cultivar.
      Please send warm weather to California! Gotta go-I have tons of
watering to do!
      Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! Peter