More~ SCARE~ ~~stories

From: z_simkunasra@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 17:42:03 PST

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:42:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: z_simkunasra@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More~ SCARE~ ~~stories

I'm now just getting into Nepenthes cultivation since I built my
greenhouse, but keep hearing all these scare stories that if you do this
or that your plant will die. N. bicalcarata is said to be very easy to
grow and is a good beginner Nepenthes... BUT:

"Do NOT touch or move the pot or your plant will die."
BOB's comment: If this is the case; how do people ship live Nepenthes
successfully? Then again maybe they don't. Their plants must die after
they recieve them.

"Do NOT disturb the roots or your plant will die."
BOB's comment: Well that little N. bicalcarata I'm going to get is going
to have to stay in that 4" pot forever, cause repotting it will kill it.

"If the temp changes 15F or more your plants will die."
BOB's comment: You mean the temp stays with in +/- 10F difference all
year round in their natural habitat?

"Any humidity shifts and your plant will die."
BOB's comment: ???

"If you don't prune your Nepenthes your plant will die."
BOB's comment: So who or what prunes them in nature?

"Nepenthes need 12-14 hrs of light per day or your plant will die."
BOB's comment: It's getting harder by the minute!

"N. bicalcarata and N. ampullaria are easy to grow."
BOB's comment: If these are the easy ones what is required of the others?

Robertivore