Re: Nepenthes and Hard Water

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 16:05:24 PST

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:05:24 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes and Hard Water

>I've heard that Nepenthes are not as choosy about the softness of their
>water, but has anyone on the list actually tried using hard water for
>an extended length of time, or know anyone who has? And how did the
>Nepenthes fair?

Trent here in sunny south Florida. Clyde Bramblett, near Homestead, Florida,
waters his Nepenthes with well water. Kendall/Homestead well water is about
as limey as you can get! I'm surprised he doesn't have stalactites hanging
from the pitchers! Everything seems happy, and has been for years. The
amazing part is he uses the same well water on his Sarracenias, which
luckily also get the benefits of growing outside--rain. The Nepenthes are in
a greenhouse/lathe house, so only get the rainwater during the summer
months.

Personally, I use R.O. water on my Nepenthes.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.