VFT PIRANHA and Allen's volume 3

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 15:44:42 PST

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:44:42 PST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT PIRANHA and Allen's volume 3

To all,

          Catching up on 6 weeks of old messages from the listserv, I
saw that Allen Lowrie's 3rd volume is finally out! WOW! I can't believe
it! Can you Jan? :):)

          I also noticed a discussion about the fantastic "piranha" VFT
being developed by my good friends Ed Read and Ivan Snyder in L.A. The
correct spelling in English is PIRANHA. The word originates from the
TUPI Indian language (once widespread in Brazil) and means "toothed
fish". This word was transliterated into the PORTUGUESE language. As
some of you may know, the largest country in Latin America, Brazil,
happened to be colonised by the PORTUGUESE and not the SPANISH, and thus
that is why we speak PORTUGUESE in Brazil. The "nh" sound in PORTUGUESE
is equivalent to the "~n" tilde sound of SPANISH. According to my
English dictionary, it should be pronounced: "pi r\344n'ye" (the last 'e'
is inverted, a sound as in "p'e'rhaps"). Hope this helps.

Best Wishes to all,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil