Re: VFT & Dried Flies

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 03:18:49 PST

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:18:49 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT & Dried Flies

>Today I went and purchased a small bottle of dried flies at the local pet
>store with the idea of feeding them to my VFT's. Of course the traps closed
>after teasing them with the bug however, they are reopening rather than
>forming a seal around the insect. Why is this? How can I inspire my plants
>that they have a real meal and trigger them to digest?
>
>Thanks

VFTs are used to forming seals areound trapped live and _struggling_
insects. If you feel that you have to feed them, and it is not necessary
to feed them over the winter if you put them out doors for the summer, you
will have to wiggle the dried insect around for a while at the end of a pin
to get the traps to close. The traps could also be overstimulated, if they
are being fed a lot.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>