Cooling darlingtonia

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 03:05:58 PST

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:05:58 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cooling darlingtonia

I've had good luck keeping Darlingtonia seedlings alive for two hot
Missouri summers (often in the 90's or higher and very humid) just
using a styrofoam box that had been used to ship insects. I cut a
hole in the top of the box's lid to fit the 6" plastic pot into...
the pot sits in the hole, its sides and bottoms inside the box, but
it's top is outside the box, even with the top of the lid. The plants
are growing outside, but their roots are kept cooler by the inside of
the box. There is about 3 to 4" of space between the bottom of the
box and the bottom of the pot. I put cool ice packs in there, and I
water the plant overhead, so cool water gathers below (but generally
the plant doesn't sit in the water). I've found that I don't even
need to change the cool pack that often... every few days can be
enough. The water at least stays moderately cool, and that keeps the
inside of the box cooer than the outside airl. So far, the potted
plant in the box has done much better than pots not in the box. All
are kept on a shady north-facing front porch, receiving lots of
light, but very little direct sun (maybe a tiny bit of morning sun).
In winter, they go in my cool greenhouse.

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden