Re: unlurking with aphids

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 19:06:50 PST

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:06:50 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: unlurking with aphids

Hi Edwin:

>An easy and safe way to get rid of aphids would be to submerge the plants
>in a container of water overnight with a _few_ drops of liquid soap (_not_
>detergent) added to the water....
>
>Does this mean soap intended for washing hands, as opposed to washing-up
>liquid?

Probably, although some hand soaps could be harmful. As an example -
Anything used for laundry or household cleaning is usually a detergent and
will usually say so on the label. Detergents are usually harsh and contain
additives that may be harmful to plants; ie: chlorides. Liquid Ivory or
Sunlight dish soap (not the appliance dishwasher soap) are what I use (and
I read the lable). The reason soap is used is primarily to break up the
surface tension of the water so that the bugs' spiracles get clogged and
they suffocate or drown. Most soaps these days are phosphate free (which is
an environmentally good thing, although phosphorous is another bug killer),
but may contain potassium.

Safer's Soap has potassium (fatty salts) in it because potassium messes up
the neural/cardiovascular system and is lethal in proportionate amounts. In
a human, too much or too little potassium in your body can cause
irregularities in the heart rhythm. The murder mystery aficionados amongst
us will be well familiar with the old plot chestnut of using an injection
of potassium to emulate a natural heart attack. The soap in Safer's formula
is there to allow the potassium to come in contact with the bug as well and
thus makes it more effective as a spray.

I find Safer's mix (pre-mixed, which means that you are paying mostly for
water and a sprayer, or concentrate) formula to be overkill and hard on
many of my non-CP plants also. Mixing your own soap spray, or drench, costs
much less and you can control the concentrations so that it can be used on
CPs (not recommended for Drosera) and other sensitive plants. It works on
contact, so it is always a good idea to wash off the plants a while after
its use. This gets rid of the dead bugs, some nits (which may not have been
affected) and prevents build-up and stomata (pore) clogging. Some plant's
roots can be very sensitive to this, but I have literally washed VFTs bare
root in a sink without any harm.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rand

..

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Zone 5-ish on most given days
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>