Re: aphids and dormancy of VFT's

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 23:13:44 PST

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 07:13:44 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: aphids and dormancy of VFT's

Karen,
Your VFT's won't go dormant as long as they're in a nice sunny warm
windowsill. The fact that they have aphids indicates to me that it
must be pretty warm. So... you need to put them in a bright, but not
sunny window, where it is as cold and drafty as you can manage. An
unheated attic, basement or guest room window would work well. Ease
up on watering in winter: just keep the plants barely damp, not
soggy.

As to the aphids, make sure your dish soap also doesn't contain
ammonia (like Dawn dishsoap does). It's probably safest to buy a
product meant for plants, such as Safer's insecticidal soap. Another
thing that works well with carnivorous plants is submerging the whole
plant completely under water for a day or two: most cp's can handle a
short "flood", but the aphids can't. However, since you have your
plants in jars and it will be difficult to drain them well, and since
they need to go drier now, I don't think I would do that at at this
time. I would try a little soap. Then I'd put the plants in
a much cooler area and keep an eye out for a return of aphids.

I have a cape sundew in a sunny windowsill at my boyfriend's house
that has aphids... his son got the brilliant idea of putting one of
the many asian ladybugs that are taking over the house onto the
plant. It chowed down on the aphids, and seemed to be adept at
keeping away from the sticky parts of the leaves (I watched it crawl
on the UNDERSIDE of the leaves to avoid the dew). Pretty cool!

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden