Re: Don's Ghost

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 10:06:22 PST

Date:          Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:06:22
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Don's Ghost

Dear Miles,

> The bureaucrats are trying to take over our hobby!!

If you consider a CP database or an International Register of
Cultivated CPs as bureaucracy, I wholeheartedly admit to be a
bureaucrat in this sense. This is because I think that these sources
of information are of some value for some people, and they do no
harm to those for whom they are of no value.

> They don't have enough papers to push so they berate the rest of
> us.

If you wanted to allude to Barry's recent call for papers for CPN in
connection with the cultivar discussion, this misses the point quite
significantly. If you do not like CPN you can *describe* your
cultivars wherever you like. But please, *publish* your descriptions
somewhere, and please *register* your names with the ICPS, the
relevant IRA.

> People should be able to talk about the plants they like...

This is what I am saying. It is not possible to talk about the
plants we like if we do not know what their names mean.

> ...without nuts jumping up and down about technical minutiae.

What you call technical minutiae is what I consider the common sense
of CP communication. Would you like people driving cars without a
license? Bureaucracy, indeed. But do you have a better idea to make
CP names work for everyone?

Kind regards
Jan