Don's Ghost

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 10:21:55 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:21:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Don's Ghost

> > S. leucophylla "Schnell's Ghost" is an unpublished cultivar from Martin
> > Cheek here in the UK.
>
> There is no such thing like an unpublished cultivar. Either a name
> of a cultivated plant is published, registered, and established or it
> is rubbish.

> If anyone (I mean really *any* one) wishes to register this name (or
> other names of cultivated CPs), please contact the

Please let me amplify Jan's statement here. PLEASE register these cultivar
names with us! A main point of the entire notion of a cultivar is to bring
attention to, and celebrate fine plants. You do this by publishing a note
about the plant, in CPN or some comparable publication.

In the December issue of CPN (soon to be mailed, and on time I may proudly
add) there will be a note from Jan regarding what must be published to
make a cultivar valid. I am also considering creating a Cultivar
Description Template. This template would include all the required fields
for you to fill in, and would be available at our web site. I have to work
out the details with Jan, however...

Barry (who is on vacation, but can't resist telnetting in occasionally!)

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor
barry@carnivorousplants.org