Sarracenia Rhizome rot

From: Gary & Mim Hart (gmhart@powerup.com.au)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 20:00:25 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:00:25 -0400
From: Gary & Mim Hart <gmhart@powerup.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Rhizome rot

Hi Tom, David, Dave and All,

What a marvelous response, post a question, even a small one and it
triggers quite a discussion, this Internet mailing list (and the people
on it) is great.

To further the discussion, my plants are all grown in a "bush house" it
has 40 % shade cloth walls and clear ( 0% ) polycarbonate roofing. The
plants get plenty of sunlight for just over half the day. Do they need
more or longer sunlight hours?. The plants also are always planted to
try and keep the rhizomes at least half above the sphagnum surface. The
ones with the "rot" at the moment are a couple of mature plants that
have recently (a month or so ago) been repotted. The sphagnum though is
getting a dark green surface not its usual light green with new tufts,
and there is a little grey woolly fungus on the sphagnum only though.

Also what fungicides have people tried (and insecticides) on CP, it
might be handy to have a list of those known to work and not kill the
plants too !

Thank you to everybody that has taken time to reply to my postings or
further the discussion with new ones of their own. The ideas have all
helped, at least me, to combat the problem.

--
Gary and Mim Hart