RE: Sarracenia Rhizome rot

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 05:50:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:50:26 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarracenia Rhizome rot

>What a marvelous response, post a question, even a small one and it
>triggers quite a discussion, this Internet mailing list (and the people
>on it) is great.

We do our best

>To further the discussion, my plants are all grown in a "bush house" it
>has 40 % shade cloth walls and clear ( 0% ) polycarbonate roofing. The
>plants get plenty of sunlight for just over half the day. Do they need
>more or longer sunlight hours?. The plants also are always planted to
>try and keep the rhizomes at least half above the sphagnum surface. The
>ones with the "rot" at the moment are a couple of mature plants that
>have recently (a month or so ago) been repotted. The sphagnum though is
>getting a dark green surface not its usual light green with new tufts,
>and there is a little grey woolly fungus on the sphagnum only though.

Others have probably already answered this and maybe I should look before
giving you my opinion. What the hey.
It sounds like half a day is good enough. Several of my bogs are shaded by
trees for part of the day and the Sarr are doing fine. However, the more
sun the better.

Get rid of your sphagnum. The Sarr don't really need it to grow and it
certainly might be contributing to the problem. How's that for weasel
wording. If a rhizome is nicked or damaged while replanting, dust it with
powdered sulfur. We probably already told you this.

>Also what fungicides have people tried (and insecticides) on CP, it
>might be handy to have a list of those known to work and not kill the
>plants too !

I like using Orthene. I seriously overdosed once by mistake and saw no ill
effects on the Sarr. The Drosera and Pings did ok, too, but I didn't look
that closely so I won't swear to it for Drosera.