CPs in Chile

From: Jose Gengler (jose.gengler@usa.net)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 19:53:54 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:53:54 -0400
From: "Jose Gengler" <jose.gengler@usa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPs in Chile

Hi!

I am not sure if you remember me, I am interested in growing
non chilean cps artifitialy. To my knowledge, nobody else has done
this yet in my country.

I actively wrote in the list a few months ago, and I received a lot
of help; without that help I am sure things have had been much more
difficult. I got very useful sugestions about light ammount, legal
paperwork and soil conditions for my terrarium. I also wrote about
temperature scale conversions.

I want to tell all of you that finally everything came out very fine.
Becouse of hemispheric differences and also to minimize legal
difficulties as much as possible, it was suggested to start with
seeds, and that=B4s what I will do. If you are interested, Ican detail
the legal procedures that were necessary to get the authorizations by
the authorities and the final conditions that made cp horticulture in
my case. To make it short, it was funny that even in the case of
seeds, in chile a phytosanitary certiphicate is a must (wich as I
understand, is not necesary in the case of seeds in other countries
except Australia). Since there is no objective information about
possible genetic interaction (for example hybridization) of foreign
cps with the chilean native flora (wich I think by no means is realy
possible), by law, every seed of new species will be supervised by
inspectors for as long as three years. If I would like for examle to
plant cps in the wild, I would have to ask for special permits in
that regard. It is possible that finaly this will end up in a very
interesting research project.

The terrarium is a modification of Barry Meyers-Rices' terrarium
described in the internet. Six species will be cultivated to begin
with, from the followin genera: VFT, Sarracenia, Drosera, and
Utricularia (terrestrial). Humidity will be of 50%, temperature will
be stable day and night at about 25=BAC (two or three degrees up and
down variation). The ammount of light durring non dormancy periods
will be of 16000 lumens (lux from a distance of 30 cm) given by five
60 cm long fluorescent tubes, 20 W and 3200 lumens each. Light will
be controlled by a timer and left on for 16 hours each day durring
non dormancy periods.

15 cm tall pots filled with peat moss and with 2.5 to 5 cm tall trays of
distilled water will be used to seed the seeds (without introducing the
seeds into the soil). I plan to seed about 10 seeds in each pot and
only one species will be planted in each pot.

It is funny that according to the literature seeds may take as long
as 2 years to germinate.

I sill havent got the seeds in my hands, but I would very much
appreciate any suggestion or correction that you would kindly share
with me about the above described conditions.

Thanks,

Take care,

Jose Gengler
jose.gengler@usa.net