RE: Utrics not flowering

From: Acj3a@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 08:35:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:35:08 EDT
From: Acj3a@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Utrics not flowering

This is in response to Andy's question:

I have been having a difficult time getting U. longifolia and alpina to flower
too.
However, I think I may have stumble onto something. A couple of months ago I
acquired some D. aurata's - poisin arrow frogs. :) I placed two forms of U.
longifolia in the terrarium with them. Both plants are in 3: pots standing
in < 1/4" water (don't want the frogs to drown). When I feed the frogs I dust
the crickets in a jar with a calcium supplement made for reptiles. I then
dump crickets and residual calcium onto the potted utric's. The growth on
these two plants is better than I've ever seen on this species of utric in my
collection. I've been growing them for a couple of years and have many
divisions, but never flowers. The leaves are much thicker and sturdier.
Gorwth is slightly faster. I don't know if this will bring them into bloom.
The plants look so good that I can't imagine they won't bloom when it's time
for them. Anybody have similar experience? I'm going to do a more control
experiment and will let the groupd know what happens.

regards,
Art Junier