Re: Utrics not flowering

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 13:37:54 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:37:54 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utrics not flowering

In message <9F6C473B0D@irlgrace2.grace.cri.nz>, Andy Falshaw
<A.Falshaw@irl.cri.nz> writes
>I've had no reply to my posting a week or 2 ago about utrics that won't
>flower, other than other growers with the same problem wanting to know
>what I hear.
> Surely someone has u. longifolia, reniformis etc in
>their collections and flowering? And can pass on some tips about
>cultivation conditions that give flowering? Andy

I find that certain clones of these Utrics are far more likely to flower
than others. For instance, there is a clone of U. longifolia in
cultivation in the UK called "forgetiana". This clone is a prolific
flowerer, tending to send up flowers in the early spring and continuing
until late autumn. I find other clones flower rarely if ever. There is a
large leaved clone of U. longifolia which is reputed to have originated
from Kew Gardens which appears to rarely flower.

Again I find U. reniformis a rare flowerer. The only time I have
pursuaded my plant to flower was after potting it into a fairly large
pot in pure sphagnum peat. It is possible that the pure peat contained a
larger number of soil micro-organisms which stimulated the plant's
growth.

One avenue worth pursueing on a spare plant is the addition of a very
small quantity of slow release fertiliser. There appears to be some
circumstantial evidence that extra nutrients in the soil might stimulate
better growth and better flowering in some Utrics. I'm still
experimenting on this one so if you try it go carefully.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson