Re: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 13:33:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:33:10 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

Guy Van der Kinderen wrote:

> This item was discussed almost a week ago, but our local network was
> down and I could not react immediately.
>
> Considering the data on germination of Cephalotus in the
> neighbourhood of adult plants, reminds me of orchids. So I was
> wondering if there has been any research done to find out if
> this species (or any other CP) bear mycorrhizae? At least it could
> explain the good germination, although it is more difficult to
> explain why cuttings also root better. Mycorrhizae are very common
> in almost all plants, but up to now the only plants I know which
> really depend on it for germination are orchids, some lower-plant
> spores (e.g. Lycopodium-prothalli) and Pyrolaceae. Is there
> anybody who knows more about micorrhizae in CP?

Hello Guy & All,

This would be an excellent area to do some research in. I've considered
this to be a possibility before, but never pursued it since I didn't
have the lab/funds at my disposal. I've written Charles about his post
regarding Ceph cuttings which root at a higher rate when stuck in media
containing mature plants(Charles, are you getting my email?) and believe
that some type of bioloical/chemical phenomenon is at work here which
will remain a mystery until controlled studies are completed. Any Botany
or Horticulture PhD candidates out there looking for thesis material?

Take Care,

Doug