Re: Re: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 18:38:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 08 Sep 98 21:38 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

Dear List,

> Guy Van der Kinderen wrote:
>
> > At least it could
> > explain the good germination, although it is more difficult to
> > explain why cuttings also root better. Mycorrhizae are very common
> > in almost all plants, but up to now the only plants I know which
> > really depend on it for germination are orchids, some lower-plant
> > spores (e.g. Lycopodium-prothalli) and Pyrolaceae.
>
> This would be an excellent area to do some research in. I've considered
> this to be a possibility before, but never pursued it since I didn't
> have the lab/funds at my disposal. I've written Charles about his post
> regarding Ceph cuttings which root at a higher rate when stuck in media
> containing mature plants(Charles, are you getting my email?) and believe
> that some type of bioloical/chemical phenomenon is at work here which
> will remain a mystery until controlled studies are completed. Any Botany
> or Horticulture PhD candidates out there looking for thesis material?
> Doug

   Hey guys, anyone else notice how much Cephalotus hates being
transplanted? Well I have and I have been taking mental notes on
the subject. I have seen that they respond better if some of their
old soil is included in the new pot. Infact, they tend to die if
I don't include at least some old soil. My friend, Tom Hayes, likes
to recycle his "used" soil into the new pots and I wonder if he and
anyone else out there have noticed any such pattern between plants
in 100% new soil and those with some old soil.

Dave Evans