Re: Aphids killing my plants

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 13:02:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:02:59 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aphids killing my plants

> > I've got aphids attaching the underside of my sundew
> > plants and the new tender leaves of my flytraps.
> >
> > How do I kill them without killing my plants?
>
> Lance, you might try submerging the plants in a bucket of rain or
> distilled water for a day or two or three. Anything over a day the
> plants might not be thrilled about, but the aphids should be even less
> impressed.
>
> I've only read about this method of pest control, I haven't tried it
> myself. Maybe someone with more experience can vouch for this method's
> efficacy (or lack thereof) against aphids?

I've tried it several times on VFTs with only marginal success. Almost
foolproof, in my experience, is a good soaking with Diazinon, diluted to the
manufacturer's direction for "ornamentals" (think it ends up being about 1/8th
of a teaspoon in a 32 oz spray bottle). I make sure to get the surface of the
soil wet, and pay particular attention to the undersides of the leaves. Has
been effective against aphid infestations on VFTs, Sarracenias, Utricularia,
Genlisea and Drosera.

Hope this helps

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Ashburn, VA, USA