Re: SS Project Setback

From: Robert L Hanrahan (k4zd@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 08:24:10 PDT

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 15:24:10 +0000
From: k4zd@juno.com (Robert L Hanrahan)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  SS Project Setback

Hi Y'all (this is rather long, but interesting!)

Bob Hanrahan reporting in from Powder Springs, GA. Most of you
may be confused by my "SS Project Setback" notation above and
deserve an explanation. For those of us old enough to remember
the old "SS" (a.k.a. Selective Service), we undoubtedly now think
about a far more important "SS"; that being Social Security. My
interjection and reference to "SS" in regards to CP may indeed be
confusing. Let me explain...

Back in the early 1970's, Leo Song and I discussed the ideal of
producing a Sarracenia Hybrid that was composed of all eight species.
We thought about naming it "Super Sarracenia" in keeping with the
word vogue of the day for something that was special. Our (being mine)
moves around the country pretty much killed my ability to directly
contribute
to the project other than to supply Leo with stock plants. Over the
past
ten years I had built up a pretty good inventory of F-1 hybrids that were
directly related to the project.. I had a substantial quantity of four
F-1
hybrids that would complete the first phase of the breeding program.

My approach was to breed as follows (using common abbreviations):
(Purp x L) x (Psit x R) =Red Factor; (F x M) x (A x O)= Yellow Factor.
Breeding Red x Yellow would complete the first SS development.
All plants would be the common southern forms of each species.
Subsequent SS breeding would use other forms/varieties to have SS2's
and so forth. As you can tell, it was going to get rather complex
keeping
up with all the different SS's, but that's precisely the fun of breeding.

We do it because it can be done and because we are looking for some-
thing unique. Perhaps someone has already produced an SS plant?
IF not, then it would be interesting to collaborate and work together to
speed up the final results.

I kinda lost touch with Leo during my many moves around the country,
but now have an unconfirmed report that the guys on the West Coast
have a plant with four species in it and are thinking of naming it x
 "Joe Mazrimas." That's super! The other half (SS/2) could be
named x "Don Schnell" (with his permission-of course). Now, what do
you think the product for JM x DS should be???

OK, OK-Here's the main story line. A group of unknowledgeable field
collectors (the poacher types) pulled a bunch of plants from my bog
in Alablama early this summer. Besides destroying a number of
Dionaea m. migration projects, they took nearly all of my S. x harperi's
( S. flava x S.minor) and all of my remaining S. alata x S. oreophila
plants.
While I can skew flowering of my stock plants with some effort, it is not

always reliable and it may take me a few years to re-establish the basic
F-1 yellow inventory again to continue the project. It's even more
difficult since I was told by the government to destroy thousands of
S. oreophila seedlings that I was growing back in the 80's. I really
don't
have any mature oreo's anymore so we may all need to work together
unless the x "Joe Mazrimas" is the yellow factor hybrid. If y'all have
extra
yellow F-1 hybrids, I would be very excited to trade plants from my plant
farm. Saving five years of time and effort is critical right now for me.

I have beefed up security measures at the bog and don't foresee future
poaching problems when we place seedlings on the property in the future.
This could be a fun community CP project. While the final results may not
be spectacular, getting there would be. What do you think?

BCNU All Again With An Update- Bob Hanrahan