Re: Largest Nepenthes

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 18:56:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 29 Jul 98 21:56 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Largest Nepenthes

Dear Jason,

> You're asking ME??

   Sure, why not? From reading your other mails and below, you do
seem to know a fair amount about Nepenthes.

> I have read that N. bicalcarata can reach 30 meters or so
> and turn into a monster but I was refering to the "compactness" of the
> entire plant in horitcultural conditions. N. bicalcarata can be pruned to
> keep it managable but the pitchers will get as big as they will get. I
> refered to N. rajah as being the largest by pitcher size because no matter
> what I do the pitchers will still be huge.

Yeah, that sounds about right! When I saw N.bicalcarata in flower at
Alanta Botanical Gardens, they were the largest Nepenthes I'd ever seen.
They still are, after almost four years since. Anyway, I was suprised
at how small the pitchers were in comparison to the leaves, but now I
realize that the plants weren't sitting in the right place to grow
larger-sized pitchers. Far too exposed, even in the very humid green-
house. Nepenthes grow their largest (and I feel, best) pitchers when
they develop in a nitch that is slightly darker, protected from too much
air movement, and if the pitcher is on the ground or the tendril has
found support. Of course, the plants themselves enjoy bright conditions,
it's just that the pitchers seem to develop into monsters when there are
these sort of nooks and crannies around the plant for it's pitchers to
grow in. Probably more bugs crawling around in those crannies too. :)
   I guess N.rajah just doesn't care (being King and all) and will
make huge pitchers at will. ;)
   Here's a question for the real experts, if they're still reading
that is: Does N.rajah grow pitchers that are not supported by the
soil or something else? Ok, it's really two questions: Has anyone
managed to make N.rajah * N.ampullaria???

Dave E