Re: Drosera Problems

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 08:30:04 PDT

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:30:04 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera Problems

In a message dated 7/28/98 10:01:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cp@opus.hpl.hp.com writes:

<< What's the problem?
 Oh, they are also green coloured instead of red (D. capensis) and they're
 growing in a strange way. Something is wrong, but I don't know what.

Miguel,

What you have happening sounds like a classic case of light levels that are
too low. Those sundews will grow well in a terrarium, but you will probably
need to supply light from a two-tube fluorescent light fixture. The plants
need strong light and direct sun will cook them in a terrarium.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of terrariums for CP. I killed more than my
share of them before I realized that the humidity requirement many books call
for are far overrated, unless you live in a desert climate. Even then many do
well if they have adequate light,(south or east windowsill).

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR