Re:Brocchinia Flowering.

From: steve gordon (gordon@rapid.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 10:25:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:25:06 +0100
From: "steve gordon" <gordon@rapid.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Brocchinia Flowering.

My Brocchinia reducta flowered last year and did produce seed, though none
ever germinated.Obviously, it had self -pollinated but whether that could
result
in infertile seeds or I just could not germinate them I do not know. But
they
are supposed to be easy.

I cut the flower spike back to the top of the plant last year and it sent
out new flowers this year from what was left of the old spike!

The original plant still looks healthy but has another plant growing
straight
up the middle, and I have removed 15 pups from around the outside base. All
the books I have read suggest leaving them till they are 2/3 the size of the
main plant but I have cut them off at less than two inches, rooted them and
they are growing fine.

Before someone gets on my case I am not suggesting this as normal practice I
just like to play about!

I have a Nepenthes maxima x mixta with two inflorescences. If they are
female, and I will know wthin the week, has anyone any pollen, please?.

Life has its ups and downs; as I write my wife has just Informed me that she
has accidentally locked one of the dogs in the small greenhouse; he has
spent two hours running franticly up and down multiple rows of Sarracenia
trying to get out - on the pots that is - am afraid to investigate the
damage.

Steve, UK.