Re: Re:Sarr. dormancy necessary

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 15:56:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 21 Jul 98 18:56 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re:Sarr. dormancy necessary

Dear Trent,

> In fact, this was a last ditch effort, and I was ready to give up on North
> American Pitcher plants. Right now, they are growing some beautiful
> pitchers, and my interests are renewed.
>
> Anybody else have similar experiences? My artificially induced "cool
> dormancy period" ran about 8 weeks, with mother nature contributing cold
> fronts from December to the end of March. My ice cubing was done
> sporadically through January and Feb.

   Yes, plants that I have seen grown indoors, in terraria, do not
perform as well the next year. Often the coloration is weaker and the
plants less robust. I suppose this can also be attributed to the lack
of sun light, which is also very important to Sarracenia, but nearly
all temperate plants I have ever grown do so much better outside, that
I feel it is a combination of the lighting, as well as seasonal changes.
   Some plants will die if they are not cold enough for long enough over
winter. Sarracenia are much, much more forgiving, but they are still
temperates and must be treated as such. I have forgotten who the orginal
poster was, but I think you would see a dramatic change in your plants
if they received a stronger winter. You don't have start placing them
in the fridge, unless you are in a tropical zone, but someplace that
is cooler for a couple months, like the basement or heated *(but still
cooler)* garage, or even a drafty window.

Dave Evans