Juvenille death of VFT traps

From: Nep (situla@spacestar.net)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 12:09:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 98 14:09:51 -0500
From: Nep <situla@spacestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Juvenille death of VFT traps

Greetings:
  All of the Dionaea in one of my medium sized aquariums (PACKED with
plants) have shown a premature "death" of their developing traps. This
death is signified by a blackening tip of the trap, followed by the
characteristic white specks (spores?, I don't really need to know that
part, though).

  Let's assume that I'm not an idiot, and haven't been feeding the plants
hamburger (if anything besides mealworms). This death occurs even before
the traps start "unfolding" and is NOT a problem associated with
already-developed VFT leaves.
This is something that I'd like to see conquered, mainly because, with
this, no new traps may develop (sortof defeating the purpose of having
the plants to begin with)
It has happened with about four seperate plants, and, unfortunately, also
with my assortment of Royal Red flytraps.
Any and all help would be appreaciated.
Just don't go off on any feeding-related advice. I haven't been ABLE to
feed any recent traps because there aren't any to feed.
Thanks a million.
-Trev