Re: Re: HELP ! S. Flava 'Maxima' is d(r)ying

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 03:45:43 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:45:43 +0200
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: HELP ! S. Flava 'Maxima' is d(r)ying

 Dear Dave,

I'm back from vacation since Monday. I have not been able to read
through all the CP digests until yesterday (thank God it took that train
2h instead of the normal 25 minutes to get me home). That's why I
haven't responded to your message earlier.

> I think I know. It's from too much shade. The shaded part of the
> plant becomes weak, promoting rot. But once the rot starts, it can
> consume the whole rhizome from the inside out. I agree, the only thing
> that might save an affected clone is cutting away all the brown (dead)
> material and treated what left with a fungicide.
>
> Wim, I think you'll find that most of the plants in your collection
> this happens to were exposed to too much shade. I have trouble mostly
> with S.flava because they produce so many pitchers and phyllodia.
> They
> can kill themselves off, but mostly they shade the others Sarracenia
> growing around them.

It happens mostly (not solely) during winter /spring with plants that
grew in the same pot for many years.
This could be an indication that lack of light initiates it, as the
plants were too big for the small pots (many large plants in small pots
= overall lack of free space and light). Another factor may be that the
stagnant air between the plants promotes rhizome rot.

I will take your advise at heart. Thank you for your reply.Kind
regardsWim