re: Coco Pith Fiber

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 03:18:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:18:03 +0200
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Coco Pith Fiber

> << My experiment with using coco peat as a medium as been interesting.
> >>

> I just wanted to chime in on pith fiber since I've been using the
> product for two years now with various species. Here's my results.
>

> I haven't yet experimented with using mixes of the substance since my
> goal was
> to be able to use it as a single media that was easy to prepare to
> avoid the hassle of mixing large quantities of peat and sand.

That was exactly my starting point, including my concern with the
scarcity of the natural product peat that is being dug up faster than it
is produced. While the production of coco peat can keep up with its
consumption (at this moment).

My tests were performed about 5 years ago.

> Sarracenia propagated by rhizome division seem to grow very well in
> pure pith fiber, and sometimes will produce better colors than in peat
> mixes.

This is in line with the results I obtained. I have not experienced with
other CP's than Sarracenia's.

I have also used it as a sowing medium. I used pure coco peat and
compared it with a 2 peat / 1 sand mixture. The same seeds
(Sarracenia's, Darlingtonia, VFT, frost resistant Drosera's) were sown
in both seed trays, the trays were treated exactly the same
(stratification, they were placed next to each other, bottom heat was
provided, scan previous CP digests for the way I treat CP seeds).

The seeds in the coco peat germinated earlier but over a longer period
compared to the peat/sand seed tray. The seedlings in the coco tray were
badly attacked by damping off. I applied Benlate 3 times during 4 weeks
but I couldn't stop it. The other peat/sand seedlings didn't suffer any
infection.

That's the reason why I stopped using coco peat for germination. I would
not advise to use it as a sowing medium.

I find it equally suited compared with a regular peat/sand/perlite
mixture for growing "adult" Sarracenia's.

The problem is finding pure coco peat. Most coco peat I find now has
added fertilizer (people like it for taking cuttings, but after a week
or so they have to fertilize it. When using normal potting soil, one
must only add fertilizer after two months. Most people are used to this
procedure, so they will not add fertilizer to their coco peat plants.
This has resulted in reports of people claiming that their plants grow
less vigorous in coco peat soils, compared to normal soil, something the
coco peat industry wants to avoid at all costs. A long story, just to
tell that you have to ask specifically for fertilizer free coco peat if
you want to use it for CP's)

I'd like to hear from other people who have experimented with coco peat.

Kind regards
Wim