Coco Pith Fiber

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 10:06:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:06:09 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Coco Pith Fiber

In a message dated 7/7/98 8:28:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time, cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
writes:

<< My experiment with using coco peat as a medium as been interesting. >>

I just wanted to chime in on pith fiber since I've been using the product for
two years now with various species. Here's my results.

Sarracenia propagated by rhizome division seem to grow very well in pure pith
fiber, and sometimes will produce better colors than in peat mixes. Nepenthes
also seem to grow very well in it since it has good drainage properties. The
Nepenthes species I have in pith fiber include N. alata, N. sanguinea, N.X
coccinea, N. albo-marginata X N. maxima and some other unidentified hybrids.

I find that most Sundews don't do well in the stuff when used straight.
Darlingtonia does ok, but I find better results in peat/sphagnum. Venus
flytraps I've only tested once, but have found they will grow in it, but more
slowly than they do in peat/sand mixes.

I haven't yet experimented with using mixes of the substance since my goal was
to be able to use it as a single media that was easy to prepare to avoid the
hassle of mixing large quantities of peat and sand.

In short, I think it's great for Sarracenia and Nepenthes, but marginal when
used as the sole ingredient for other cp.

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest