Hard Water and RO units

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 10:12:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:12:43 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hard Water and RO units

In a message dated 7/7/98 8:28:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time, cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
writes:

<< I
 hadn't thought about it decreasing the longevity of an RO system! >>

I've talked at length with some producers of these units and they say the same
thing; if your water is brutally hard, and especially if it contains high
quantities of iron as is common here in the Northwest, the water should be
pre-treated with a softener before it goes into the RO unit. The softener
will replace the calcium and iron with sodium, then the RO unit will remove
the sodium (common salt). Sodium removal I was told isn't nearly as hard on
the RO membranes.

I am curious to hear more about the Deionization units though.

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR