Re: Water hardness

From: James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 11:32:20 PDT

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:32:20 GMT
From: jaldr@onramp.net (James Aldridge)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Water hardness

>What is a deionization system? Pros and Cons. If I could water my plants
>with the hose it would save lots of time. Does it allow line pressure? =
The
>problem with RO (which I'm using now) is no water pressure for hoses =
etc,
>without installing a submersible pump into a cistern and all the =
attending
>trappings.

If you have hard water, I would recommend a traditional ion-exchange =
water
softener ahead of the RO system. This will make the RO membranes last a =
lot
longer. I wouldn't use the softened un-ROed water for plants unless you =
use KCl
rather than NaCl to regenerate the resin bed of the softener.

Jim

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
jaldr@onramp.net or jaldr@fwcds.pvt.tenet.edu
http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaldr