Re: What's Killing my Drosera?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 18:23:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 15 Jul 98 21:23 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: What's Killing my Drosera?

Edwin,

> I was most pleased with my D. Binata. It lived on the sunny windowsill, with
> my other CPs. It produced lots of new leaves, and caught little flies. Then,
> in the winter, it suddenly died. All the leaves and stems turned brown, the
> last centimetre above the compost going last. Even the moss in the pot died.

   Well, that last bit sure doesn't sound promising.

> I thought perhaps it was due to frost - my unheated kitchen gets very
> cold in winter. Anyway, I kept it in water, more out of respect that
> out of hope. Then, about two weeks ago, I noticed some new green
> shoots. Rejoice! But it was short-lived, as they too began to turn
> brown and die.

   Sounds like they went into dormancy and then tried to return.

> Thinking back, the plant went bad _around_ the time I changed from
> using rain water to well water (I rely on friends for this). My other
> CPs have been fine. Is there something special about D. Binata? Does
> it need more/less water? Maybe a different pH?

   I think you have found the culprit. Now, D.binata does seem to have
a dormancy period. Some clones can drop all their leaves, only to
return with weather to their liking. Perhaps your's went dormant on
time. Then again, the change in water may be the cause for their hiding
under ground. D.binata is one of the largest Drosera and so they (I say
they instead of it since there seem to be one than one kind.) need large
pots, much larger than most other Drosera. At least you can change the
water back to what they did seem to like. If you see improvement, then
stick with it.

Dave Evans