Re: Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

From: MMiller192@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 19:09:04 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:09:04 EDT
From: MMiller192@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

I don't think that cold is necessary for dormancy in Sarracenia. I have had
my present terrarium set up for 7 years. I vary the day length from 10 hours
in the winter to 16 hr in the summer. The night time temperature varies from
58-60 F in the winter to about 70 F in the summer. The Sarr. stop growing in
the winter and when I begin to lengthen the days in the spring they start
sending up new pitchers and flowers.

Daylength also appears to be enough to produce dormancy in D. binata, which
disappears in the winter and reemerges in the spring.

Michael