What's Killing my Drosera?

From: ems@lucent.com
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 01:00:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:00:28 +0100
From: ems@lucent.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: What's Killing my Drosera?

I was most pleased with my D. Binata. It lived on the sunny windowsill, with
my other CPs. It produced lots of new leaves, and caught little flies. Then,
in the winter, it suddenly died. All the leaves and stems turned brown, the
last centimetre above the compost going last. Even the moss in the pot died.

I thought perhaps it was due to frost - my unheated kitchen gets very
cold in winter. Anyway, I kept it in water, more out of respect that
out of hope. Then, about two weeks ago, I noticed some new green
shoots. Rejoice! But it was short-lived, as they too began to turn
brown and die.

Thinking back, the plant went bad _around_ the time I changed from using rain
water to well water (I rely on friends for this). My other CPs have been fine.

Is there something special about D. Binata? Does it need more/less water?
Maybe a different pH?

Thanks for any advice.

Edwin Spector
Bath, UK.