Re: Re: HELP ! S. Flava 'Maxima' is d(r)ying

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 19:13:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 06 Jul 98 22:13 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: HELP ! S. Flava 'Maxima' is d(r)ying

> The only solution (curative) I know is to cut *everything* away that has
> the faintest appearance of being brown. Sometimes you may end up with
> nothing more than a piece of the growing tip. I have never been able to
> save a plant in that condition. Acting as soon as possible is the only
> way of dealing with this.
>
> I don't know how to prevent this from happening. Perhaps someone on the
> list may know what is causing it. Each year I lose about 10 plants to
> this phenomenon. On a 1000+ plants this is "only" less than 1 %, but
> this is still a lot more than I like.

Dear Wim,

   I think I know. It's from too much shade. The shaded part of the
plant becomes weak, promoting rot. But once the rot starts, it can
consume the whole rhizome from the inside out. I agree, the only thing
that might save an affected clone is cutting away all the brown (dead)
material and treated what left with a fungicide.
   Wim, I think you'll find that most of the plants in your collection
this happens to were exposed to too much shade. I have trouble mostly
with S.flava because they produce so many pitchers and phyllodia. They
can kill themselves off, but mostly they shade the others Sarracenia
growing around them.

Dave Evans