Re: "sad little nep"

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 05:05:45 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:05:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: "sad little nep"

Angie Nichols wrote:

> All the Neps. I have seen in places like Lowes, Walmart and Home Depot have
> been N. madasgarensis..... This seems to be the only Nepenthes in my
> collection that I can't grow....

What I'm about to say here may have been discussed before--sorry if
it's redundant.

The N. madagascariensis that is widely available in the US from large
chain stores is not that easy to grow. I base this statement on personal
experience and also the experience of other knowledgeable growers who have
reported problems with this clone.

Someone in the US was successful in getting this species into tissue
culture and then having it mass-produced for distribution. Unfortunately
the particular clone involved is a very disappointing grower. I don't know
if other clones were included in this particular distribution enterprise.
I've not heard of anyone who has been able to grow this clone; I have
heard of people having success with other N. madagascariensis clones from
different sources.

I had two of hardware store clones, and I gave them away to a more
experienced grower after I lost patience with the plants. He
hasn't succeeded with them either.

I received a different N. madagascariensis clone from tissue culture not
long ago, and the plant is growing quite nicely just like other TC
Neps I've had experience with.

> ...why don't they propogate and sell something to grow like N.
> alata??

Don't condemn N. madagascariensis on the basis of this one clone.

I agree that the stores would do nicely if they picked a weed like
N. alata. In fact, they'd probably advance the hobby among the masses
if they marketed a spectacular weed like N. x 'Ile de France' or
N. x 'dyeriana'. These are among the easiest and most satisfying
Nepenthes to grow (my opinion) for those who are generally impatient
(like I am). These hybrids grow relatively quickly and have
beautiful pitchers.

But no tissue culture lab is going to spend the effort for a hybrid,
I think. _Species_ is the name of the game for TC work.

If we could get "garden center shoppers" interested by marketing
hybrids, though, then they'd eventually come around to the species.
I think hybrids are a good way to "get the foot in the door", so to
speak.

How about some comments from others on the list?

Regards,

Perry Malouf