Re: Nepenthes mould problem

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 20:01:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 21:01:24 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes mould problem

Nep <situla@spacestar.net> writes:

> Errant "tufts" of mould were removed, every so often, by me using two
>bamboo skewers. However, the mould growth became daily, and in
>increasing amounts. This mould is not on the plants, but on the surface.

>It is a "generic mould" which is basically white-grey and, as of this
>moment, in tufts and a mesh-like state at one section of the soil
surface.

I have some fungus growing on the soil surface of several pots of
Nepenthes. While I could imagine it could be detrimental to seedlings,
it does not seem to harm the adult plants which appear to be thriving -
so I just ignore it.

Fungus causes so many problems when we grow our CP in unnatural
environments that it seems like the general philosophy is that "No fungus
is a good fungus" - but I would like to question that approach. Since
some fungi are clearly more pathogenic to others I can't help but wonder
if, by indiscriminately killing any fungus that appears, we leave a niche
open for more pathogenic fungi to wreak havoc.

Admittedly, fungus on the soil will break down the media so I suspect I
may need to replace it more often but if that is the only problem then I
will still consider leaving it alone. Has anyone ever looked for or
studied mycorhiza (sp?) in any CP?

Any other thoughts or opinions?

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/