Re: Nepenthes mould problem

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 05:11:13 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 07:11:13 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes mould problem

Hi All:

Fungus usually does not attack healthy plants but is always present in
soil, either activ e or as spores. When you can actually see a mold or
fungus, you are seeing only a small part of the beast. The mycorrhizae, or
filiments, are spread throughout the area around the visible grouth. In
growing CPs we often incorporate material into our "soil" mixes that makes
it a prime target for fungus and molds, because the plants like growing in
the stuff. In the wild there are balances and checks; in our pots, not as
many.

Using live sphagnum moss as a top dressing often solves the problem of
surface mold and (here I go again) a little bit of wettable sulphur can go
a long way to halting a fungal infection in Sarrs or Neps that is caused by
a break, or injury, to the plant if it caught early on. Sulphur is not as
toxic as some of the chemicals that may be needed to treat an established
infection.

Kind Regards,

Rand

>I have some fungus growing on the soil surface of several pots of
>Nepenthes. While I could imagine it could be detrimental to seedlings,
>it does not seem to harm the adult plants which appear to be thriving -
>so I just ignore it.
>
>Fungus causes so many problems when we grow our CP in unnatural
>environments that it seems like the general philosophy is that "No fungus
>is a good fungus" - but I would like to question that approach. Since
>some fungi are clearly more pathogenic to others I can't help but wonder
>if, by indiscriminately killing any fungus that appears, we leave a niche
>open for more pathogenic fungi to wreak havoc.
>
>Admittedly, fungus on the soil will break down the media so I suspect I
>may need to replace it more often but if that is the only problem then I
>will still consider leaving it alone. Has anyone ever looked for or
>studied mycorhiza (sp?) in any CP?
>
>Any other thoughts or opinions?
>

>Rich Ellis,

Rand Nicholson