Re: Gibberrellic Acid on Sarrs

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 15:55:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:55:16 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Gibberrellic Acid on Sarrs

Mark,

>Along with my last order from Allen Lowrie was an updated list of
>plants/seed he has for sale. On this list he had some germination hints for
>certain species of CP. One that made my eyebrows go up and down was the
>entry on Sarracenia seed. Allen claims a high percentage of germination
>soaking the sarr seed in a gibb acid solution for 6 days before sowing. He
>also reports good results with a 24-hour soak but better with 6 days. His
>Gibb acid solution is equal to 1 gram or 10ml of gibb to 1 litre of water.
>
>I can't vouch for this method yet. I still stick to ' 6 weeks in the
>'fridge' , which works every time.

I tried the giberellic acid method as well as several other methods
including freezing the seed in water and my usual method of sowing early
winter and allowing a natural stratification. Despite accidentally using
the giberellic acid at a reduced concentration of 10mg in 500ml water I
have seeds just starting to germinate now with this method. The seed was
sown about 4 weeks ago.

I can't really recommend the use of gibberellic acid since I had as good
results using the flash freezing method which is just as easy to use and
is cheaper, but at least it does appear to work although I used no
control sowings.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson