Gibberrellic Acid on Sarrs

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 21:26:08 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:26:08 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Gibberrellic Acid on Sarrs

Ross wrote in CP digest 1447:

 I daresay that this has been covered before but can anybody help me
with advice on the use of gibberrellic acid to assist germination of
Sarracenia & possibly Nepenthes seed.

Along with my last order from Allen Lowrie was an updated list of
plants/seed he has for sale. On this list he had some germination hints for
certain species of CP. One that made my eyebrows go up and down was the
entry on Sarracenia seed. Allen claims a high percentage of germination
soaking the sarr seed in a gibb acid solution for 6 days before sowing. He
also reports good results with a 24-hour soak but better with 6 days. His
Gibb acid solution is equal to 1 gram or 10ml of gibb to 1 litre of water.

I can't vouch for this method yet. I still stick to ' 6 weeks in the
'fridge' , which works every time.

The native S. purps are blooming in NE Ohio as well!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com