Re: D.bulbosa flowering

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 14:29:24 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:29:24 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.bulbosa flowering

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980430011048.28951A-100000@phssthpok.illusiona
ry.com>, Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com> writes

>As I posted a couple days ago, my D.bulbosa has opened its first flower
>this morning. (Which is amazing in several ways because 1) I actually got
>it to grow from the tuber that Allen Lowrie sent me, 2) It's growing
>during the getting-warmer season here in Florida instead of the cool
>season - blame el nino for cooler spring temps, and 3) not only did I get
>it to grow, but I got it to flower... boy am I cool. :) I brushed a little
>paintbrush around inside the flower, but it was hard for me to tell which
>pieces were what as far as reproductive structures. (Jan?) It looked
>kind of like the styles (? female parts) stuck out about halfway to the
>ends of the petals, while in the very center were a few tiny yellow bits
>that may have been producing pollen.... In a few days or weeks maybe I'll
>find out if it produces seed. I'd love it if it did because this is a
>great cute little plant and I'd like to sow some fresh seeds and try to
>grow a few more.

Derek,

The reason your tuber is trying to grow now is that it thinks it is
still in the southern hemisphere. Most rosetted tuberous Drosera species
flower early in their season, either before the rosette actually
develops or just after. Having said all this you have still done well.
I've never managed to get this species growing although I finally have a
couple of plants emerging now.

Your plant will quickly realise it is growing in the wrong season. The
heat and sun levels seem to combine and send the plant into early
dormancy. In my experience dormancy seems to be a fairly strict cycle of
six months which is about when you will see your plant emerge again. The
following season the plant will grow longer and by the time it emerges
in its third year it will have finally settled down to northern
hemisphere seasons.

It would be nice to be able to grow these plants during the summer when
there are far more insects around but the heat always seems to send them
into dormancy.

Regards

--
Phil Wilson