Re: Terrarium

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 00:56:55 PDT

Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 07:56:55 +0000
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Terrarium

Hi Tim:

>So it probably depends on what you want to grow more than anything else;
>the fancy stuff needs a terrarium. But you don't have to spend very much
>money to get started with CPs.
>
>I'd be interested to hear what other plants members of this list have grown
>successfully under normal indoor conditions.
>
>tim.

Over the years, various Sarrs, which are quite easy to overwinter on a cold
Canadian windowsill, including S. purpurea. The Sarr pots even freeze from
time to time, with no ill effects as long as the plants are dormant. I
don't seem to have good luck with S. leucophylla with this method, though
that could be something I am doing wrong. Mine never grew thrifty after a
couple of winters. S. psittacina, VFT, Cephalotus, a Pinguicula lutea and
various Drosera (D. capensis, whether I want it to or not) are all quite
happy and get moved out doors to a deck in spring. Darlingtonia also
responds well to this treatment.

I used to store Sarrs in the veggie crisper, but too many went to mold and
rot. They seem to perform and bloom better when they have some sun through
the winter, even when they are dormant. I still lose pitchers towards
spring (The older ones dry out from the top and are just trimmed;
sanitation cannot be over-emphasized), but this probably reflects what
happens in the wild and the pitchers are replaced by new, more vigorous
growth shortly after when dormancy breaks and the humidity goes up.

My Canadian zone 5b gets cool enough in winter (-23 to -32 C [-9.4 to -25.6
F]) to keep them dormant with a little help from a mister, ice cubes and a
window vent on sunny days. Lately, I have been getting plants that are
northern grown (thanks Carl) and I believe that they have an adaptation
edge over the ones I used to get from further south.

Of course, my Nepenthes do not need this kind of cool rest, but do slow
down when the daylight goes. I think the cooler temps near the window helps
at this time.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson