D.bulbosa flowering

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 22:17:25 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:17:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D.bulbosa flowering

As I posted a couple days ago, my D.bulbosa has opened its first flower
this morning. (Which is amazing in several ways because 1) I actually got
it to grow from the tuber that Allen Lowrie sent me, 2) It's growing
during the getting-warmer season here in Florida instead of the cool
season - blame el nino for cooler spring temps, and 3) not only did I get
it to grow, but I got it to flower... boy am I cool. :) I brushed a little
paintbrush around inside the flower, but it was hard for me to tell which
pieces were what as far as reproductive structures. (Jan?) It looked
kind of like the styles (? female parts) stuck out about halfway to the
ends of the petals, while in the very center were a few tiny yellow bits
that may have been producing pollen.... In a few days or weeks maybe I'll
find out if it produces seed. I'd love it if it did because this is a
great cute little plant and I'd like to sow some fresh seeds and try to
grow a few more.

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)