Meeting of the IPS

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Sun Apr 19 1998 - 06:44:37 PDT

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:44:37 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Meeting of the IPS

To all,

        Today I attended a meeting of the Insectivorous Plant Society of
Japan here in Tokyo, where I was given the privilege to do a slide show on
Brazilian Genlisea and Utricularia to the large and enthusiastic crowd that
attended.
        As usual, the plants being shown by the members were really beautiful.
Most impressive were some of the Pings in flower: P.reticulata, P.kondoi,
P.debbertiana(? - with scented purple flowers), P.macroceras, P.emarginata,
P.moctezumae, and P.laueana. I also saw live D.arcturi for the first time,
thinking initially they were young D.regia.
        A larger surprise happened while I was drooling over the AMAZING
book "Nepenthes of Borneo" which came out last year. I was sitting next to
my friend Isao Takai and another man, who I had never met before, discussing
with them the book and the plants within. (Actually, "discussing" is wishful
thinking on my part, since my broken Japanese only allows me to make short
comments in Tarzan-language, such as "I like" or "Nice color".)
        All of a sudden, realizing I had never met the other man, Takai-san
introduced him to me as Kurata-san and then pointed at the book sitting in
my lap. When I read where he was pointing, I saw the same name, Kurata,
written next to his finger. I did a huge double-take and realized I was
talking to THE Kurata, the same who published N.campanulata and others!!
        Anyways, "Nepenthes of Borneo " is really fantastic, even for non-Nep
fanatics like me. I recommend it to all CPers, especially Andreas Wistuba
since his "personal communications" seem to be all over the book!!!
        So before going, I wanted to send a big DOMO ARIGATO to Takai-san,
Shibata-san, and all the others responsible for the meeting today for having
given me the honor of making my slide presentation and for the wonderful
time I had.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan