Re: Scale on Young Nepenthes

From: Borneo Exotics (borneo@lanka.net)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 22:10:46 PST

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:10:46 +0500
From: Borneo Exotics <borneo@lanka.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Scale on Young Nepenthes

Hi Ted,

Greetings from Sri Lanka!

I see you've already had replies on the subject of scale, recommending
malathion and orthene. Here's another 2 cents worth...

I've used dimethoate successfully on scale on numerous occasions, and as
recently as this week. It kills everything actually - except thankfully,
the plants which seem quite unaffected. I've not heard reference to it
before in CP circles, so perhaps it's a banned chemical in Europe and the
US (?). It certainly smells virulent, and maybe I'm about to sprout an
extra limb tomorrow :-) I spray it at standard concentration on and UNDER
the leaves (not possible with seedlings of course) in the evening and then
flush it off early the following morning using LOTS of water to get rid of
all traces.

Just a general note of warning though, Nepenthes seedlings are often much
more sensitive to any chemicals than their adult counterparts and it's best
to do a trial first using just one or two test plants.

Finally, to stick a further spanner in the spokes, tolerance to chemicals
varies greatly from species to species, and is not just split into simple
categories such as highland and lowland. For example, a fertilizer
concentration that suits say, N. rafflesiana, may prove toxic to N.
albomarginata, or N. macrovulgaris. A similar variation in tolerance may
well apply to pesticides too. I try not to use them on plants smaller than
about 5 cm in diameter.

Good luck!

Rob Cantley

Best regards,