Re: Re: Scale on Young Nepenthes

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 29 1998 - 17:33:52 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:33:52 +0000
From: "Peter Cole" <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re:  Scale on Young Nepenthes

> I have scale on my Utricularia longifolia (varient) and am very
> glad you mentioned this as I was about to use Orthene on that plant
> as well as the Sarracenia, Drosera and Nepenthes growing near it.
> What can you, or someone else, recommend as treatment?

        7-10 days at the bottom of a bucket of water should do the job - the
        Utric won't mind a bit, but the scale will drown. Watch out not to
        let direct sun on it though - it may scorch through the water.
        I find this works for most CPs, with the exception of Mexican Pings
        and a few Drosera spp. (most are fine for at least a few days,
        though they look a bit bedraggled when they come out.)
        Works well on all pests - aphids and mealy bugs will drown faster
        (3-5 days usually enough.)
        I guess Drosophyllum wouldn't thank you for this treatment
        though...

        Hope this helps,

                        Peter
+++ Peter Cole, 17 Wimmerfield Cr.,Killay,SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK +++
mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk - http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/
++++ Carnivorous Plants, seeds and tissue culture kits for sale ++++