Cultivar Stuff

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Mon Mar 02 1998 - 09:42:33 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:42:33 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cultivar Stuff

Wow. At first I thought I was the only one who was confused by all this
and thought that I was having a private conversation with Jan across the
list.

There has been some discussion about creating "cultivar groups" without
naming a parent as a cultivar. If I am following this discussion, it
sounds like this could be functionally achieved within the established
rules by naming a cultivar (with parents of parentage X and Y) and
specifying that this cultivar can reproduced either vegetatively (from
any plant of that cultivar) or sexually by crossing parents X and Y.

While this would not actually define an official "cultivar group" it
would give a name to a group of plants with the same parentage. This
cultivar will potentially have a great deal of variability in its
appearance. If there are exceptional specimens of this cultivar, then
they could be given a different cultivar name and specified that this new
cultivar can only be reproduced vegetatively. Is this correct? Would
there be undesirable ramifications to this?

Richard Ellis
Boulder, CO