Re:Cultivar Stuff

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 10:08:42 PST

Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 13:08:42 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Cultivar Stuff

Trent here on a Sunday afternoon. Terrible weather today so I came up
to the office. From what I understand about "cultivar groups" or "grex
group" (is the latter a valid term?), there must be at least two named
cultivars amongst the siblings to qualify. Apparently, this same
methodology applies to both Sarracenia and Nepenthes-actually, just
about all other flowering plants except orchids.

Sometimes all the hybrid siblings are attractive. (Example; the invalid
name of N. splendiana (N. kampotiana X maxima)). All "splendiana" have
a distinctive look. I can spot 'em instantly in a greenhouse full of
Neps (not a frequent sight). Yet, I have not seen one that deserves
cultivar status.

Could this grex be given a name? Say, N. Splendid ? From what I understand, it
cannot.

I've got two of these plants. One is male and one is female. Could a cultivar
name be based upon gender?

Until later,
Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida