Hardware Failure or virus?

From: Tim Malcolm (malcol01@camosun.bc.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 13:33:46 PST

Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:33:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Malcolm <malcol01@camosun.bc.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hardware Failure or virus?

I'm not sure this is the place for this or not, but it is on an 040
machine, so it's closer to the topic than a lot of stuff here recently
(not that I mind or anything...)

My powerbook 540 won't start up properly. It loads all the extensions,
but goes into a loop of loading and quitting the finder. I tried my boot
disk, but it did the same thing. My boot disk wasn't write-protected (I
don't know if this is a factor or not.) Like I said, it seems to start up
okay, and it will also zap PRAM and rebuild the desktop, so the problem
seems to be in loading the finder (an unqualified diagnosis, I admit.)

It's a pb540, 12 megs, system 7.1

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

thanks

tim.