Sarracenia Hybrids proper credit

From: Judy Clark (jclark2712@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 08:51:02 PST

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:51:02 -0500
From: "Judy Clark" <jclark2712@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Hybrids   proper credit

Hello list
First of all I believe proper credit should be given to Larry Mellichamp of
UNCC
universty, and Rob Gardner of NCBG.atUNC university,
It is for there efforts and years of hard work ,the world is a richer place
because of them.In 1997 HISTORY was made when they came out with the first
complex Sarracenia hybrids ever in tissue culture.Not simple F-1 hybrids but
F-4 F-5
F-6 .That means crosses of crosses and back crosses and so on .For and
example take this simple cross.S flava X S.purpurea venosa thats a F-1
cross that with S.leucophylla and you have a F-2 ,so now you see that it
takes a long time ,patience and some measure of knowledge of these plants.
Larrys plant was Dixie Lace , Robs plant was Ladies in Waiting and Fred
Cases was Cases Resovle .These plants were hard to acclimate to soil
conditions out of tissue culture,but me and others are giving it a shot .I'm
sure that they will have more of them this spring ,and others to follow
soon.These plants are a true wonder of the sarracenia kingdom,and with
Larrys names like Tweedle Dee Boob Tube Black Ankle Sultry Maid
Snorkle Catapult and so on.They can only get better from here ,so keep up
the good work boys.and yes I can remember it like it was yesterday when the
first multipul complexe sarracenia hybrids were made in T.C.

David Crump @ Carolina Carnivorous Gardens
4174 Welling Ave,
Charlotte, N.C. 28208
704 399-3045